How to know if your home is infested by cockroaches?
How do you know if your home is infested by cockroaches? This is quite easy, cockroaches often leave signs just like a lot of pests that they are around even though that’s the last thing you want them to do.
Nobody loves to see droppings or cockroach’s skin all around their home, this can be quite embarrassing when you have a visitor but they do anyways and while this might seem like a disadvantage, it can be used as an advantage to become aware that they are around.
Below is a list of signs you should watch out for that would inform you that your home is infested by cockroaches.
- Old castoff skin
- Egg capsules
- Bad odour
- Smear marks
- Damages I.e. bitten books.
- Living cockroach’s
What are the harms caused by cockroaches?
Having cockroaches in your home isn’t visually pleasing and can cause social embarrassment but, aside from that, it can cause some major harm to the occupant of the house.
Cockroaches are known to be dirty, crawling around dirty tunnels and areas hence they are also known to be carriers of bacteria’s that cause certain illnesses such as diarrhea, cholera, typhoid, food poisoning, and so on if they come anywhere near your food.
Cockroaches can also trigger asthma and allergy to humans, especially kids due to them being a source of allergen.
Why controlling cockroaches are important?
As stated above, cockroaches cause several harms to human health if you leave them running around your home which is why they must be controlled to avoid these harms. Now, let’s discuss why we must control them.
- They can cause some serious and deadly health diseases I.e asthma, as stated above.
- They can cause intestinal disease and food poisoning.
- They cause social embarrassment.
- Their bite causes the itch that can cause swell.
- They cause damages to books, clothes, etc.
- Due to being a source of allergen, they can cause allergy.
- They can cause serious issues such as cockroach infestation within a short period if left uncontrolled.
Are homes around Vancouver BC infested with cockroaches?
Yes, homes around Vancouver BC are most likely to be infested with cockroaches due to the climate. The climate in Vancouver is milder and not as cold hence, one of the reasons it’s a perfect habitat for cockroaches due to the moisture, heat, etc.
However, they could be controlled and prevented hence, not all homes are infested with cockroaches around Vancouver BC. Cockroaches also tend to be more around the poor side in a lot of areas due to the lack of proper sanitization, which is another thing they thrive on aside from warmth and moisture.
How to get rid of German cockroaches in Vancouver BC?
German cockroaches are smaller and flatter cockroaches well known as indoor cockroaches. Like every other cockroach, they are carriers of diseases and cause several kinds of diseases due to the trail they leave behind as they travel such as droppings, castoff skin, etc.
They are easier to identify due to their light brown skin and two dark stripes that run down their back for adults while, the smaller ones are much darker but, they still possess a dark stripe that makes it easier to identify them.
They are mostly found in kitchen cabinets, amongst shopping bags, etc.
To get rid of German cockroaches, several methods can be used and we advise that you choose professional help to help you handle the control of cockroaches in your home.
However, if you wish to get rid of them yourselves, you can make use of the following methods.
- Baits: One of the most common methods of getting rid of German cockroaches is by baiting them. Cockroaches feed on leftover food hence with baits, a slow working insecticide is sprayed, mixed, or injected into a piece of food, that serves as an attraction. When cockroaches feed on it, they crawl away and die.
This is an effective method to get rid of them but might needs aggressive cleaning later on because they might die anywhere.
However, ensure that each bait is properly placed in such a way that it would be accessible to the cockroaches. Place under sinks, dark and warm places, and keep away from kids.
- Make use of insecticides: This is another way to get rid of German cockroaches and might even be termed as the most popular way to get rid of cockroaches.
- It’s a chemical method and there are two forms of insecticides. It can either be in powder or spray form.
Both work as effectively and will do a good job in getting rid of the German cockroaches. Some examples of effective insecticides include Raid and roach killer and Zap A roach boric acid roach and ant killer. The first being a spray insecticide and the other in powder form.
- Regular cleaning: Cockroaches love dirty places. It is why they are mostly found in bathrooms, dustbins, and dark corners. Cleaning your home regularly can help you get total rid of these irritable creatures.
- Avoid leaving behind dirty plates for too long, clean out cabinets and kitchen cupboards. Sweep and mop those dark corners regularly to avoid them from camping there.
- Traps: Just like you would set a trap for rodents. You can also make use of traps to catch cockroaches. There are company-produced glue traps you can get to effectively help you catch and get rid of cockroaches. A good example is Combat Max 12-Month Roach Killing Bait.
How to get rid of brown-banded cockroaches in Vancouver BC?
The brown-banded cockroach aside German cockroaches is one of the other harder cockroaches to eliminate in the home due to being domestic cockroaches.
Brown-banded cockroaches are smaller cockroaches with two light brown bands across their dark brown body.
Just like most cockroaches, they are also carriers of bacteria and protozoa’s alongside posing other serious health issues. To identify brown-banded cockroaches, you might notice some of the following.
- They are more likely to fly away from danger than German cockroaches would.
- They leave behind droppings in areas they frequent in your home. I.e. You would most likely find their droppings around a particular place than seeing one every here and there.
- They leave behind egg capsules.
- You might see them running around at night or away from light when a kitchen cabinet is opened.
To get rid of brown-banded cockroaches. You can make use of the following methods.
- You can make use of baits.
- You can make use of insecticides.
- You can make use of contact sprays
- You can make use of traps
- Dispose of unused boxes, cartons, and shopping bags.
- Clean regularly, remember to clean every nook and cranny of your home.
- Dispose of waste regularly and ensure your waste bin is always covered when not in use.
- Repair leaky pipes and block small holes they can get in through.
How To Control Cockroach In The Kitchen?
Cockroaches dwell in dirty or warm places hence, they are mostly found in bathrooms and kitchens. To control them in your kitchen, ensure that you
- Dispose of trash regularly
- Clean away spills and moisture from the cooker’s top after cooking.
- Avoid piling up dirty plates.
- Leftover dishes should not be left in the open for too long.
- Clean, dust, and mop every corner regularly.
5 Ways To Avoid Cockroaches If You Live In Vancouver BC
- Clean regularly
- Dispose of unused boxes or items that cockroaches can dwell and hide.
- Block holes and cracks to avoid them from getting in.
- Ensure your bathroom and kitchen are always clean and free to avoid them from finding a home.
- Avoid moisture and dirty grease in your home.
How To Find The Best Cockroach Control Service in Vancouver BC?
As advised earlier, it is better to leave the control of the cockroaches in your home to professionally trained hands to easily identify the types of cockroaches you are dealing with and recommend the best treatment to control and get rid of them.
Topline pest control is one of the best pest control services in Vancouver BC. Topline pest control Is a control service that offers effective pest control service in Vancouver BC, New Westminster, Abbot’s Ford, etc.
They are ready and prepared to help you take appropriate steps in getting rid of any damage caused by cockroaches, rodents, termites, etc. In your home.
Topline pest control follows a perfect method of inspecting your home first to know what they are dealing with and follows with a technical knowledge of pest biology and medicinal applications to get rid of disturbing pests once rather than killing them randomly.
Topline pest control is simply the best choice to choose in helping you control and gets rid of pests disturbing your home in Vancouver BC because
- We are reliable.
- Our services are cost-effective and affordable.
- Our treatment methods are effective.
- We offer our clients one of the best customer experiences.
- Our customer’s reviews and rating assures our credibility.
Contact +1 604-551-6504 or visit https://www.toplinepestcontrol.ca/