Silverfish prefer to dwell in dark, damp area such as basements, Attics, Kitchens and bathrooms. They are especially attracted to paper and damp clothing, commonly found in stored boxes in garage and sheds. They can cause property damage by chewing holes in clothing, upholstery and paper goods, such as wallpaper and books. This is why it important to get rid of silverfish. Silverfish are nocturnal the come out at night.
HOW TO GET RID OF SILVERFISH
- Keep your plumbing in good order so it won’t create a damp environment.
- Silverfish like places where they can live in safety. This means that they will hide in places that are damp, messy and somewhere they can hide and has lots of paper. Keeping our house tidy and clean will leave them vulnerable to the vacuum. Move your things around often, as this will disturb them frequently.
- Check your basement and attic first, paper packed or cellulose insulation in these areas is a great source of food for silverfish.
- Leave a lot of open space. Silverfish might try to come out and run to eat something.
QUESTIONS ABOUT SILVERFISH
- Do silverfish live outside?
Yes, they do live outside. Silverfish can be found under rocks, tree bark, or in and around dead leaves.
- How can I stop them from coming into my bathroom sink?
Silverfish sometimes breed down into drains due to the moisture after using the sink. Before you go to bed, pour a cup of bleach don all sinks and drains in the house.
- How do silverfish get into the house?
Silverfish come into the house by open doors, windows, pipes and any cracks in the walls.
- Where do silverfish hide in your house?
Silverfish love moist places such as humid closets or bathrooms. Check bookcases, clothing and paper piles. Also if you have left anything wrapped in paper stored, they may be present there to.