Squirrels living in both wild and urban area and build large nests in trees using twigs and leaves for nesting material. In urban area make nest around chimneys, attics, walls, garages, shed roofs, squirrel found in parks and woodland areas, they adapt quite easily to urban environments, taking up residence in and around buildings. In late winter and late summer a string of male squirrels may be seen pursuing sexually mature female squirrels in a noisy, energetic chase through the treetops, on rooftops and on the ground. This chasing behavior is thought to be a vital phase of squirrel courtship. During the mating process the male squirrel excretes a wax plug that obstructs the female’s vagina and prevents further mating by other males.
Twice a year, about 42 days after mating, the female gives birth to a litter of 1 to 7 young with the average urban litter being 5 or 6 youngsters. Baby squirrels do not open their eyes until 32 days after birth. Squirrels born in the spring are forced to fend for themselves at the age of 10 to 12 weeks. However, baby squirrels born in the fall usually stay with their mother until late winter when she breeds again.
Both the grey and red squirrels are unsocial for most of their lives, although they do show some social behaviors. Communal nesting is common for both species during winter and spring, and some grey squirrels are known to share nests.
Both species make their homes in sparsely forested areas. You may encounter them in recreational zones, gardens and parks. They also nest inside garages and homes. This is one of the main reasons they are considered as pests.
Squirrel’s incisors never stop growing. This helps them keep a diet high on solid nuts and seeds. When faced with hunger, squirrels can eat eggs, snakes and small bugs. In the wild, tree squirrels hardly live longer than a year. In captivity, they can reach the age of up to 20 years.
Damages caused by squirrels
When a squirrel takes a home in your locations, it can be very hard to get rid of it. When inside, it considers your property as its own and turns it into a nest. Squirrels are mainly stubborn when it comes to their homes. They don’t horror scarecrows, flashing lights and loud noises and are often protective. They can also trouble cables, insulation, frameworks and other components of your houses.
Grey squirrels also cause extensive blackouts. As their teeth grow continuously, they must grind them on hard surfaces. Sometimes they chew on power lines, which can reason a short circuit and knock out power. Sometimes they jump straight on power lines which can as well cause a power shortage. Squirrels can also cause small physical damage to the houses. While relatively clean, they are messy eaters and can throw food debris around. They also leave teeth and claw marks on furniture, walls and wooden components.
It is easy to spot an infestation.
- Squirrels who nest inside structures are generally noisy and rarely fear humans.
- They also go outside their nest on a regular basis to feed.
- If you see a squirrel entering or leaving an opening on your front, you might want to check for a possible nest in your attic.
- You may also observe gnaw damage.
Humane Squirrel Removal
Top Line pest Control specializes in hands-on removal techniques and squirrel proofing homes and businesses in Metro Vancouver, BC. Our process includes the following:
• Humanely remove all squirrels
• Repair all entry areas
Top line Pest Control will arrive at your home, conduct a thorough inspection and install one-way-door allows them to exit through the door but not to get back in. The next step is to repair the damaged shingles and secure a mesh.
Why Choose Topline Pest Control
You can either fill in an online form to get a free quote or you may request a call by fill in a below form.
Request a call back
Read our blog posts
- Benefits of professional pest control servicesGetting rid of pests by pest control products might not be the good approach to do when you have pest infestation. … Read more
- Bed Bug Treatment | Identify, DIY, Professional ServicesTopline Pest Control Services provides the bed bug treatment in Langley, Abbotsford, Burnaby, Port Coquitlam, Vancouver, and Surrey BC. Bed bugs … Read more
- Diseases Caused by Bed BugsBed bugs can be harmful to certain people than others, triggering health concerns ranging from itchiness to allergic reaction. Irrespective of … Read more